The Mask II (Jim Carrey version)
The Mask II was a proposed sequel to the 1994 smash-hit comedy The Mask with Jim Carrey returning as Stanley Ipkiss/The Mask and Cameron Diaz returning as Tina Carlyle. Chuck Russell would also come back to direct the sequel. After a Nintendo game based on the original film was made, there was a power contest for Nintendo and there was an announcement that whoever won the power contest could have a walk-on role in the sequel.
- Jim Carrey as Stanley Ipkiss/The Mask
- Cameron Diaz as Tina Carlyle
- Ben Stein as Dr. Arthur Newman
Why It Was Cancelled
- Jim Carrey decided not to return and star in the film Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls.
- The Jim Carrey version was permanently cancelled.
- In 2015, Nathan Runk revealed that he was the winner of the Nintendo Power contest and once news broke out that the film was cancelled, he was given $5,000, some games and a production jacket as an apology. He also got to chat to Leslie Swan, the voice actress of Princess Peach, over the phone.
- A year after The Mask hit theaters, an animated series titled The Mask aired on television. However, it was short-lived.
- In 2005, New Line Cinema released a new version of the sequel titled Son of the Mask which was released on February 18, 2005, with Jamie Kennedy as Tim Avery/The Mask, and directed by Lawrence Guterman. The only cast member from the first film to return was Ben Stein. The film was both a critical and box office disaster, which lead to New Line Cinema permanently killing the franchise.