The LEGO Ninjago Movie (Alternate Script)
The LEGO Ninjago Movie (alternate script) is an unofficial name that refers to the unfinished cancelled version of The LEGO Ninjago Movie (2017).
As stated by Charlie Bean (one of the directors of the film) during its development, The LEGO Ninjago Movie went trough many iterations and versions that were cancelled or replaced until reaching the final version. In the Blu-Ray version of the final film, an unfinished alternate version contains some conceptual arts and even a finished scene in final animation that was released. The Charlie's Bean statement and the scene can be found on the Blu-Ray and on YouTube (see in Videos section).
According to Charlie Bean, the film was originally going to be a time-travel film, in which Lloyd and the other ninjas traveled back in time to stop a giant evil snake from biting Garmadon, the said bite that would make him the future evil warlord Black Skin (Garmadon).
Why It Was Cancelled
- Apparently, the development team of the film was not satisfied with this version (although it was already somewhat advanced, since storyboards and the finished scene had been made) so they canceled it and continued writing new scrpts until reaching the final movie, the filmmakers decided to continue as both The Lego Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie had been box office hits.
- The final version of The LEGO Ninjago Movie received mixed reviews from critics and was a box office flop.
- As a consequence of the movie, the series changed slightly in some respects.
- In the finished scene, Garmadon was a yellow skinned minifigure wearing Cole's hair piece and had a unique face that didn't make it to the final version.
- Interestingly, in the aforementioned scene, Lloyd has black eyes; while in the final movie he has green eyes.
- The "Big Evil Snake" that bites Garmadon is a reference to the Great Devourer, the snake that bites Garmadon in the series.
- The Hageman Brothers (Dan and Kevin Hageman), known for being the most relevant writers of the LEGO Ninjago TV Show (the show on which the movie is based), who wrote seasons 0-6 and 8-9, wrote the script for this scrapped version.
Can be found with the name: "The Lego Ninjago Movie Deleted Scene - The Dock"
- Screenshot 20200816-175452.png
- Screenshot 20200816-175620.png
- Screenshot 20200816-175629.png
- Screenshot 20200816-175552.png
- Screenshot 20200816-175515.png
- Screenshot 20200816-140953.png