King Kong (1996 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
King Kong was a planned 1996 remake of the original 1933 film.
The plot may have been the same as the original, but with new material.
Why It Was Cancelled
- Godzilla and Mighty Joe Young were both being released in 1998.
- Peter Jackson's previous film, The Frighteners, was a flop.
- Roland Emmerich's Godzilla, The Mighty Kong (animated DTV film), and Disney's Mighty Joe Young all got released in 1998.
- King Kong ended up getting released in 2005 and most of the elements were used in the 2005 remake.
- Peter Jackson decided to make The Lord of the Rings trilogy released from 2001-2003.
- Very few elements of the 1996 draft were used (ex: the plane fight in the beginning of the story) for the 2017 film Kong: Skull Island.