Jump to navigation Jump to search
In 1997, Amblimation planned on making an animated musical film of Cats, based on the Broadway musical of the same name.
The plot would presumably be the same as the musical, but with extra musicals written exclusively for the film.
Why It Was Cancelled
- Balto was a box office failure in theaters in 1995, losing to Pixar's first movie, Toy Story at the box office.
- The failure of Balto caused Amblimation to cease its operations.
- The Amblimation version was permanently cancelled.
- 22 years later, Universal Pictures made a live-action film based on Cats in 2019. However, the film received nearly universally negative reception from critics and audiences alike and was a box-office failure.
- After Amblimation ceased production, Steven Spielberg decided to continue his career at DreamWorks among with other studios.